|In its survey of Florida construction firms for the third quarter of 2017, Associated Builders and Contractors finds the confidence to fill open positions over the next six months remains low. Continued hurricane rebuilding efforts will likely exacerbate the challenge to find enough skilled labor in Florida to meet the level of project demand. Confidence in other areas of the survey remains high.
ABC conducts a quarterly construction confidence survey in Florida to supply stakeholders with information regarding contractor perceptions in four areas:
The survey supports computations of the Florida Construction Confidence Index, a diffusion index. Readings above 50 indicate growth or improvement, while readings below 50 are unfavorable. Because response rates are high, ABC is able to provide results for a number of Florida sub-markets.
Florida remains among the nation’s most active construction markets, ranking fifth among all states in terms of net new construction job creation. While CCI in the staffing levels category fell from 76.8 in the second quarter to 74 in the third, the reading continues to indicate that contractors will continue increasing staffing levels over the next six months. A minuscule 2-percent of respondents indicate an expectation that their staffing levels will decline over the near term.
The same can be said regarding sales expectations. While confidence has waned slightly from the second quarter, contractors remain upbeat from the perspective of anticipated revenue expansion.
By contrast, worker availability remains a source of pessimism among contractors, with more than 68 percent of respondents indicating that filling positions will become more difficult over the next six months. This is remarkable given how difficult it has already been to secure skilled craftspeople. Only 2 percent of respondents indicate that finding workers will become easier over the coming six months. Given the onset of rebuilding after summer storms, skilled labor shortages are likely to become even more dramatic in late 2017 and into early 2018.
Worker availability confidence low in Florida construction
Search and submit events
7:30 am Professional Education Series – ... @ The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce
Professional Education Series – ... @ The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce
Jan 24 @ 7:30 am – 9:30 am
Customer Service REINVENTED is all about how to enhance existing ways and learn new ways to conduct...
11:30 am 4th Wednesday Biz Chat @ City of Cape Coral Economic Development Office - Nicholas Annex
4th Wednesday Biz Chat @ City of Cape Coral Economic Development Office - Nicholas Annex
Jan 24 @ 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
Our 4th Wednesday Biz Chat offers an opportunity to share your company story, gain insights on how...
3:30 pm CBIA Builder Round Table City of... @ CBIA Office
CBIA Builder Round Table City of... @ CBIA Office
Jan 24 @ 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm
CBIA Builder Round Table City of Naples Wednesday January 24, 2018 3:30-4:30 p.m. CBIA Office email your...
Contact the Publisher
- Above Board Chamber of Florida
- Business Networking International SWFL
- Cape Coral Construction Industry Assoc.
- Career Source
- CCIM Southwest Florida District
- Charlotte County Economic Development Office
- City of Bonita Springs
- City of Cape Coral
- City of Fort Myers
- Collier Building Industry Association
- Commercial Investment Professionals
- Entrepreneurs Society of Naples (E.S.O.N.)
- European American Network
- Florida Everblades
- Fusion Pointe
- Goodwill Microenterprise
- Lee Building Industry Association
- Lee County Chamber
- Lee County Economic Development Office
- MLH Creative Concepts Marketing
- Naples Area Professional League of Executive Services (N.A.P.L.E.S.)
- Real Estate Investment Society
- SCORE - Naples Chapter
- SCORE - Southwest Florida Chapter (Fort Myers)
- Small Business Development Center at FGCU
- Southwest Florida Enterprise Center
- Southwest Florida Regional Technology Partnership
- Southwest Florida Sustainability
- Southwest Regional Manufacturers Association (SRMA) of Florida
- Tamiami Angel Investor Fund/VenturePitch
- The Letter Box, Inc.
Chambers of Commerce
- Bonita Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Cape Coral Chamber of Commerce
- Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce
- Christian Chamber of Southwest Florida
- Estero Chamber of Commerce
- Florida Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce
- Lehigh Acres Chamber of Commerce
- Marco Island Area Chamber of Commerce
- North Fort Myers Chamber of Commerce
- Pine Island Chamber of Commerce
- Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce
- Sanibel Captiva Chamber of Commerce
- Southwest Florida Chamber
- Southwest Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- The Chamber of Southwest Florida