Fort Myers, FL, June 16, 2020 – The Lee Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday approved a plan to allocate federal CARES Act dollars for Phase 2 of its LeeCARES Business Assistance, Food Security, and Individuals & Families assistance programs.
Lee County’s COVID-19 Business Assistance Program for Job Creation (Business Rehire).
- Provides grant funding to small businesses for rehiring full-time equivalent (FTE) positions that were on the payroll as of March 1, 2020. Eligible positions must rehired on or after July 6, 2020.
- Grants of $5,000 per full-time equivalent positions rehired, up to $10,000 for businesses with 10 or fewer employees or up $20,000 for larger qualified businesses with fewer than 250 employees; 501(c)3 and 501(c)19 organizations are eligible.
- Grants may be used for operating expenses not covered by other resources, including working capital, professional services, employee training.
- Businesses receiving Payroll Protection Program funding are not eligible.
- The program will go live on July 6. Applications will be available online at LeeFLCares.com or by appointment.
In addition, the Board approved Phase 2 for the Individuals & Families Assistance program, establishing a sliding scale for income limits to assist families based on size of the families. The annual income limits are:
- Families of four or fewer – $55,100
- Familes of five – $59,550
- Familes of six – $63,950
- Familes of seven – $68,350
- Familes of eight – $72,750
Applications for individual assistance may be submitted online at LeeFLCares.com or at 239-533-2273.
In addition, programs utilizing funds from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act have resulted in:
- Individual Assistance Program – More than 6,400 applications; $5.1 million approved.
- Business Relaunch Program – More than 2,300 applications’ $4.48 million approved.
- PPE Distribution program – More than 1,400 approved, about 1.2 million items distributed.
- Child Care Support – 63 provider locations; more being added. More than 300 scholarships approved.
The Board approved plans to allocate the balance of about $134.5 in CARES Act funding, including:
- $45 million to Human Services programs including the Individual Assistance
- $25 million to Business Relaunch and Rehire programs and PPE.
- $23,950,000 for Public Safety and Medial expenses, including contact tracing, EMS transport, quarantine housing, etc.
- $20 million for Governmental COVID-19 direct expenses for Lee County and Constitutional Offices, including PPE, facility safety, public education and messaging, data collection, elections, telework, etc.
- $20.5 million for general reserves for COVID-19 costs.